Become a Language Conversation Partner
Language Conversation Partners (LCPs) are current Stanford students who help language students practice their conversation skills during one-to-one appointments. LCPs primarily support oral conversation practice; they do not go over grammar or help with homework. They are selected in a competitive process each winter quarter for the following academic year. We give priority to undergraduates but will also consider applications from graduate students.
Applications for Language Conversation Partner (LCP) positions are currently closed. Please check back in winter term 2023.
Languages Offered for Conversation Practice
Why Should I Become a LCP?
- Competitive Pay: Starting pay for undergrad LCPs in 2022-2023 will be $18.00/hour, and pay for graduate LCPs will be $28/hour.
- Flexible Schedule: LCPs create their own schedule through TutorTrac with approval from the Assistant Director. LCPs are required to post at least five hours per week of availability between the start of week two and the last day of classes each quarter.
- Build New Relationships: In addition to meeting students individually, LCPs will also work closely with instructors in the Stanford Language Center and make short, paid visits to each class they support.
- Professional Development: LCPs also attend group meetings, once or twice a quarter, and discuss how to best help students. As they help others practice their language skills, they will also grow as speakers and listeners in their target language. Read the 2022-23 LCP Job Agreement [PDF].
- Support and Leadership Opportunities: LCPs meet several times a quarter with their language team to discuss course content and best conversation practices. Experienced LCPs can become Lead LCPs, who organize their language team and run team meetings.
- Must be a current Stanford undergraduate, co-term, or graduate student. See the Undergraduate and Graduate Student employment guides for hourly limits.
- Must be legally eligible to work in the United States.
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Fluency in the target language
- A strong commitment to helping peers learn
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, time management, and attention to detail
- For further information regarding regulations for international students, contact the Bechtel International Center.
- Application: Complete the online LCP application (which includes submitting a short essay and official transcripts)
- Recommendation: If you have taken a language class here at Stanford, submit a recommendation form to your language instructor at Stanford.
- Interviews: Candidates will be contacted to participate in a one-on-one interview with the Assistant Director and a role-play interview with current LCPs. Applicants that are successful will then be invited to complete a language interview with the Stanford Language Center.
- Paperwork: Refer to emails from the Assistant Director to learn about what documents you will need for completing your hire.
- Training: New LCPs must attend a mandatory training from 5:00-8:00 p.m. PST on Friday, January 6th.